- (2018) Department of Geography, University of California, Santa Barbara
Dissertation: Mapping Perspectives for Environmental Planning [pdf]
Adviser: Keith Clarke
- (2011) Department of Geography, University of California, Santa Barbara
Thesis: Auditory Representation in Spatial Applications [pdf]
Co-advisers: Michael Goodchild and Keith Clarke
- (2004) Department of Biology (Minor in Archaeology), Stanford University
Conferred with distinction
Refereed journal articles & book chapters
- Suparno, N., K. Currier, C. Milner, A. Alling & P. Dustan (Submitted) Ecological changes in the coral reef communities of Indonesia’s Bali Barat National Park, 2011–2016. Atoll Research Bulletin.
- Aswani, S., A. Diedrich & K. Currier (2015) Planning for the future: Mapping anticipated environmental and social impacts in a nascent tourism destination. Society and Natural Resources 28(7):703-719.
- Currier, K. & H. Couclelis (2014) Geodesigning ‘from the inside out’. In D. Lee, E. Dias & H. Scholten, eds. Geodesign by Integrating Design and Geospatial Sciences, pp. 287-298. Cham: Springer.
- Currier, K. (2014) Mapping with strings attached: Kite aerial photography of Durai Island, Indonesia. Journal of Maps, DOI: 10.1080/17445647.2014.925839.
- Randage, S.M., A. Alling, K. Currier & E. Heywood (2014) Review of the Sri Lanka Blue Whale, Balaenoptera musculus, with observations on its distribution in the shipping lane. Journal of Cetacean Research and Management 14:43-49.
- Walker, B.L.E., D. López-Carr, C. Chen & K. Currier (2014) Perceptions of environmental change in Moorea, French Polynesia: the importance of temporal, spatial, and scalar contexts. GeoJournal (published online: 23 March).
- Milner, C., K. Currier, B. Kopcho & A. Alling (2013) A status report on the coral reef at Pulau Durai, Anambas Islands, Indonesia. Atoll Research Bulletin 591: 1–17.
- Participatory mapping for tourism planning in Bali, Indonesia. Public Participation GIS 2017, San Luis Obispo, CA, 2 Aug. 2017
- Pendapat tentang Bahasa Indonesia dari seorang pelajar pemula [Opinions on the Indonesian language from a beginning student]. Academic seminar, Fakultas Bahasa & Seni, Universitas Pendidikan Ganesha, Singaraja, Bali, Indonesia, 23 Oct. 2016
- Kite aerial photography for coastal environmental monitoring. Workshop organized by Balai Pengelolaan Sumberdaya Pesisir dan Laut - Denpasar, Coral Triangle Center, Sanur, Bali, Indonesia, 6 Aug. 2016
- Mapping with kite aerial photography. MS GIS Colloquium, University of Redlands, CA, 21 May 2014
- Geodesigning ‘from the inside out.’ Geodesign Summit Europe, Herwijnen, Netherlands, 19-20 Sep. 2013 [video]
- Shipshaping and Fiafia (or, How I became a geographer). spatial@ucsb Lightning Talks, UCSB, CA, 27 Feb. 2013 [video]
- Auditory representation in geographic and spatial applications. AAG Annual Meeting, Seattle, WA, 14 Apr. 2011 [abstract]
- Beyond Street View: Documenting coral reefs with ‘Immersive’ video. WhereCamp SoCal, San Diego State University, CA, 17 Jul. 2010 [video]
- Planetary Coral Reef Foundation’s Google Earth-Ocean Demonstration Project. Raffles Marina, Singapore, 13 Aug. 2008
Awards & Grants
- Boren Fellowship, 2016
- Women Divers Hall of Fame Honorable Mention Award in Graduate Conservation, 2015
- David S. Simonett Memorial Award, Department of Geography, UCSB, 2015
- UCSB Affiliates Graduate Dissertation Award, 2014
- UCSB Associated Students Coastal Fund grant funding project “Exploring the UCSB coast with kite aerial photography”, 2014
- David S. Simonett Memorial Award, Department of Geography, UCSB, 2012
- NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program Honorable Mention, 2011
- Student Assistant, Esri International User Conference, San Diego, CA, 2010
- NSF Integrative Graduate Education and Research Traineeship (IGERT) scholarship to attend the Vespucci Summer Institute on Geographic Information Science, Florence, Italy, 2010
- Regents Special Fellowship, University of California, Santa Barbara, 2009-2014
- Google Earth-Ocean Demonstration Project featured in Google Earth Ocean Gallery, 2008
- GeoEye Foundation Imagery Grant, providing IKONOS satellite images to Planetary Coral Reef Foundation, 2007
- NCAA Pac-10 Women’s Track and Field All-Academic First Team, Stanford University, 2002-2004
- March 22, 2017 - Tourism and Trash: Mapping Connections in West Bali (Kitty Currier)
- April 4, 2014 - Computing with a View on the Indian Ocean (Kitty Currier)
- April 07, 2014 - 4-H GIS Project: Building a UCSB Scavenger Hunt (Kitty Currier)
- December 14, 2012 - Geography Awareness Week 2012 (Bonnie Bounds, Helen Chen, Kitty Currier, Heather Frazier, and Susan Meerdink)
- March/April 2012 - Protecting Anambas (Abigail Alling with photos by Kitty Currier)
- December 08, 2011 - UCSB Geography Promotes “The Adventure in Your Community” for Geography Awareness Week (Kitty Currier)
- September 27, 2011 - Kitty Currier Flies a Kite for Marine Research (Kitty Currier)
- June 03, 2011 - Kitty Currier Is Flying High (Kitty Currier)
- December 10, 2010 - Geography Awareness Week, Department Outreach, and Geocaching (Heather Berry, Kitty Currier and the rest of the Grad Student Outreach Committee)
GigaPan mosaic of kite aerial photographs, Durai Island, Anambas Islands, Indonesia (2011)
GigaPan mosaic of kite aerial photographs, University of California, Santa Barbara (2014)